Milian's Doom Site Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[The Zodiac Deathmatch] musique!

Reply to topic    Milian's Doom Site Forum Index » Other Wads & Projects View previous topic
View next topic
[The Zodiac Deathmatch] musique!
Cybershark

Post [The Zodiac Deathmatch] musique! Reply with quote
got to say that i'm really loving the new additional music for Zodiac after all those months of stony silence (and then the era of the endless intermission Razz )

i don't think all of the tracks fit in to (any kind) of Doom maps but most are definite winners and i'm sure the others will grow on me. Aries, Sagittarius and (i think) Leo(?) are just a couple of favourites at this early stage.

congratulations on giving the wad an even more unique flavour amongst all the '94-stylee crap that still keeps floating up Very Happy
Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:47 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Milian
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi, Shark!

Thanks for your message!

Yes, some tracks are really unusual for Doom maps, I think. Especially Virgo and Capricorn. But I didn't want to reduce the soundtrack to all the same heavy or industrial stuff. That would have led to an endless variation of the same sound and atmosphere. And the maps are unique enough to stand a unique music, too...

One difficulty was to make a track fitting to two maps. The Scorpio music is better suited for the first Scorpio map than to the second, I think. The Cancer music is great for the atmosphere of the dark second map, while it may seem a bit "out of the place" in the first.

Milian

Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:46 am View user's profile Send private message
Cybershark

Post Reply with quote
ok, so i went and extracted them all and have them running in WinAmp now Very Happy
so i thought i'd give some more in-depth observations. still not got them all tied to their maps in my head yet but here's some thoughts on the tunes themselves:

the ambience of Taurus, Cancer, Scorpio and Leo are just gorgeous. although Scorpio definitely does not fit the second map as you say Laughing

Leo has a definite split personality - presumably from trying to capture both maps in one melody.

Libra is really funky. i don't think that one could sound bad anywhere.

Capricorn and Virgo are the worst fits for Doom maps i think. Virgo is perhaps a little too over the top on the orchestration and Capricorn is just far too mellow.
Aries fits with that pair in some ways but has that industrial theme to it too which saves it in my opinion.

Aquarius always makes me laugh. it sounds like a cartoon/gameshow theme. Laughing

Sagittarius is wonderful. it feels like the scream upon awakening from a nightmare and fits those hellish maps perfectly.
Gemini has a similar feel perhaps although as with many of the tracks it has more than one 'movement' to it.

Pisces is an incredibly sombre piece. as i first noted, it sounds like a funeral march to begin with. it definitely fits the second map better but its sound is not entirely out of place with the geometry of the structures on the first either.

Zodiac captures the frenetic pace of that last map wonderfully.

and the intermission music? lol, well it's not really a tune is it? but it still sounds great!

so... will this mean some original compositions for Nutty" also?
Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:13 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Milian
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Cybershark wrote:
Capricorn is just far too mellow.

Sure, but consider it's Christmas time and there are reindeers in that map! This track was intended to be peaceful like Christmas and mellow like a nursery rhyme.
But you're right, that this isn't, what you would expect in Doom in the first place. But you wouldn't expect reindeers either... Laughing

Cybershark wrote:

so... will this mean some original compositions for Nutty" also?

OMG, Hell no! Shocked

Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:27 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Milian's Doom Site Forum Index » Other Wads & Projects All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: